Skip to main content

Revelation 4-6


Today’s passage takes us through chapters 4-6 of the Book of Revelation. Full confession here—I have  never really studied Revelation as an adult. There is a lot of it that I don’t get, but would love to have a better understanding of. However, when I was in junior high, I remember having a brief study on parts of Revelation. (I’m pretty sure this was when the “Left Behind” series was getting popular, so that might have had something to do with it.) Our youth group was given the project of creating a diorama or little scene of what we thought parts of heaven might look like. Always a creative kid, this was totally in my wheelhouse! Yes! I couldn’t wait to do this project! Our leaders gave us a plethora of materials to create our scene but here’s something I realized early on—I could never, ever make something that even closely resembles what heaven is like. It doesn’t matter what earthly materials you give me or skills I acquire. Even the most gifted artist could never replicate such an awe-inspiring thing. I’m sure I came up with something that looked okay, but the most important lesson for me in that assignment had nothing to do with making a project.

Reading today’s passage, especially 4:1-6, reminded me of that. We can never, ever fathom what heaven is like until we get there. If you are a believer, one day you will get to do so, and what a glorious day that will be! I can’t wait to be there and see my Lord face to face. But until then we are called to serve Him here and be a witness to others so they too can know Him.

Rachel Craig

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke 2-3

Merry Christmas!  Oops.  It’s a little late to be sharing Christmas greetings.  But here’s some good news.  Only 310 days until next Christmas.  In the meantime let’s look at one way we can get the most out of the 320 days.  Let’s see if we can learn a lesson from the shepherds that will help us move forward the way God wants us to. The shepherds weren’t going anywhere until they dealt with their fear.  Luke 2:8-9 tells us they were afraid on the first Christmas night.  In fact they were filled with fear.  The KJV states it in a memorable way – “They were sore afraid.” It was not just the angel that terrified them but also the visible manifestation of the glory of God. What was the glory of the Lord?  It must have been a superb light show.  The glory shone around them – a dazzling specter of light.  It was infinitely better than a meteor shower. But God’s angel had good news of great joy.  The news would calm th...

John 7-8

And the dispute continues about who this man Jesus is. They had witnessed Jesus speaking with unexplainable wisdom and performing miraculous healings. Yet some still thought he was demon-possessed, a blasphemer, or a suicidal nutcase. Verse 5 of chapter 7 tells us that even his own brothers didn’t believe in him. We shouldn’t be surprised then that it may be even harder for people today to believe that Jesus is God’s Son.    If you have settled the question of who Jesus is, and have accepted him as your Lord and Savior, it’s more important now than ever that you walk the walk, not just talk the Christian talk.  It’s true that you “may be the only Bible some person ever reads.” Let’s be the salt and light that our evil society needs. ~Elsie Shepherd

Colossians 1-2

Colossians 2 speaks of being rooted in Christ. How is that possible to be rooted in Christ? It is possible through growing in your relationship with Him, that comes with time. How long does it take for a tree’s roots to grow deep? It takes a while, it does not happen overnight. We grow in that relationship through the study of the Word, fellowship with believers, prayer and other spiritual disciplines. We grow in that relationship as we go through this life and turn to Him again and again. Reading through this chapter reminded me of this older song by Phillips, Craig and Dean. Chapter 2 speaks of being alive in Christ. We are alive in Christ! https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=_0_1jazh454 Actually, this week's Bible study touches on some of these same themes. Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=_81kE14c6zI&feature=youtu.be